Monday, January 19, 2009

First Time Together

Today was promising as well but we also realized they will not be ready to come home as soon as we hoped. We were hoping they would be ready to come home by the end of the week but that is not very realistic. They will be in the NICU into next week at least which makes it at lease 3 weeks total. They were a few more firsts yesterday which always excites us. They both finished their bottle feeding in the morning within about 15-20min, Mia also finished her evening bottle but Adam left about 4-5ml out of 40ml before he was exhausted and finished on the feeding tube. They do not feed as well with Milina and I, I guess they are too entertained by us and less focused on eating. Adam was able to wean from his oxygen completely last night for a few hours and then needed some after eating because it makes him so tired. They will probably turn the oxygen on and off throughout the day. They are leaving the nasal cannula in place to trick him into thinking the oxygen is still on. Both have gained a little weight but have a little bit yet to go to get back to birth weight. We were able to place them together for a picture last night as well for the first time. Milina will try breastfeeding some time this week to see how they do as well.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like things are continuing to improve, even if only a little! I hope to come see them soon. Please let Milina know I have been wanting to but was sick all last week and I'm at the end of it now. I want to be totally healthy before coming to visit, even if all I do is look at the little angels. We'll keep praying for your family!

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry they'll be there longer than you would like. But, you dont want to worry about whether they are breathing, warm, well, etc. when they get home. I had to keep that in mind because I'd get so anxious. We did have a monitor to go home with so that helped. If you haven't already, see if you can ask Kelly in ST to help you guys feed... she really helped me. I'll pray for the breastfeeding to go really well. Cleaning those bottles is such a hassle. I have extras if you want to borrow them -- I'd leave 2 pairs of them soaking at a time in the sink at home to get more rest. I also have a breast pump you can try if you want to save money from that rental. It didn't do the trick for me. I remember the frustration too well of wanting my babies and things not going fast enough!! Preservere friends!

Unknown said...

What great news that they are together. Hang in there...they'll be home soon. The photos of them together are awesome!! They are BEAUTIFUL babies!!
Cindy