Thursday, October 16, 2008

Saga of the Coffee Table

The coffee table saga has come to a close. We have been using the same particle board coffee table for 8 1/2 years now. Over that time frame it has been subjected to every inhumanity possible. I told Milina instead of buying one I would take 1-2 months and build one. I think that last real wood project I undertook was the birdhouse in cub scouts when you build that little birdhouse out of the precut sections. Then 60 min and several bruised digits later you had a birdhouse only a mother could love and if there was a housing authority to protect birds you would be considered a slum lord and the place would be condemed. It is now at least 7-8 months later and the coffee table is complete. It often became the subject of discussion at church and even the focus of one of my talks in church as the "Parable of the Coffee Table", ask me about it sometime. I must say considering there were no plans other than in my head it looks better than I ever imagined. The only screws are to hold several pieces of trim onto the main body other than that it is only joints and glue. The real test will be when we move it upstairs and start using it to see if it falls apart when you put anything on it. I will be posting pics soon.

No comments: